F4K Career Coach FAQs
- How much time will this take?
- What is expected of me as a Career Coach?
- Who can be a Career Coach?
- I just signed up, what happens now?
- Why do you need a background check?
- I forgot my username and/or password. Where can I find it?
- How do I respond to repetitive questions?
- I’ve had a lot of different careers before my current career. Can I talk about those?
- Who will I be talking to? Where are the students I’m talking to?
- What if I get a question I don’t know how to answer?
- I keep getting notifications, but I don’t see new posts when I log into my account?
- I haven’t gotten a question in a long time. What do I need to do?
- How do I report inappropriate activity?
- What other Career Coach areas are you looking for?
1) How much time will this take?
Career Coaches give ~15 minutes / week answering students’ questions online. If you’re a Video Game Developer, you may receive more questions than say an Auditor. The amount of time you give depends on how much information you want to provide and how frequently you respond to posts.
2) What is expected of me as a Career Coach?
Talk about your job! Your gift to students is to share your individual career path. No one else has your unique perspective. Also, please try to answer students’ questions within 24 hours, or at the least, within three days. Talk with students as you would your own children and offer information and encouragement.
3) Who can be a Career Coach?
If you can talk about your job(s) and pass a criminal history and sexual offender background check, you can be an F4K Career Coach.
4) I just signed up, what happens now?
F4K conducts a background check using the information you provided (7 years of address and name history). This process generally takes 5 business days, depending on how many places you’ve lived. Once your background check is approved, F4K will email you with your username and password, and you can start answering students’ career questions.
5) Why do you need a background check?
You’re talking to minors. Although you’ll be communicating through a moderated message board, and there is no exchange of private email, vetting our volunteers makes everybody feel good. This process builds confidence in students, parents and educators and helps to expand F4K across the state to reach more students.
6) I forgot my username and/or password. Where can I find it?
Go to http://www.f4k.org, click Partners. Then click I forgot my username and/or password.
7) How do I respond to repetitive questions?
Have you gotten the same salary question 10 times? Create an FAQs section. After logging into your account:
– click on Message Boards on the left navigation
– find the career(s) for which you want to create FAQs
– click on Frequently Asked Questions
– click Add Post to add an FAQ
8) I’ve had a lot of different careers before my current career. Can I talk about those?
Abolutely. You can add as many careers as you’d like to your profile. Think in general terms about your career history and look past titles. You may have been an Executive Widget Producer, but our database only lists Widget Maker. Students aren’t as granular as adults, and you can further define your career once you’re on the message board(s).
9) Who will I be talking to? Where are the students I’m talking to?
You’ll receive questions from middle and high school students across North Carolina. Each post you receive from a student will list the student’s first name, grade and county, so you can encourage accordingly.
10) What if I get a question I don’t know how to answer?
Be honest. Tell the student you don’t know the answer and will look it up or ask the student to find the answer and get back to you.
11) I keep getting notifications, but I don’t see new posts when I log into my account?
New posts will remain bold until it has been answered. If another Career Coach has logged in prior to you and answered the question, it will no longer be bolded. The view for your Message Board posts on your homepage defaults to the current week; to change this select the drop-down box to the right of the heading and select the time frame you would like to view. When you log out of your account, the view will reset to “This Week.”
12) I haven’t gotten a question in a long time. What do I need to do?
The most popular career in most counties in North Carolina is still Professional Athlete. Don’t be discouraged. Have you signed up for as many different careers as you can talk about? Try filling out your bio in your account. F4K is also currently developing the ability for Career Coaches to post the first message on their board(s) and to send messages proactively to students.
13) How do I report inappropriate activity?
Student posts do not appear on the Message Boards until they have been replied to by a Career Coach. Below each post is a box allowing you to “Flag Inappropriate Post” with the option to include a note. The student’s educator and F4K will be notified of the offending post and it will not appear on the Message Board.
14) What other Career Coach areas are you looking for?
F4K continuously recruits Career Coaches across industries. For specific needs, please visit the f4k.org homepage and join our LinkedIn Career Coach group.
Note to BC: I am aware the number eight and a parenthesis converts to a happy face (answer for number eight question). I’ll go into HTML to look for a fix. FYI. Thanks.