Readers of Our State magazine and web site
- Representative Doug Yongue
- Senator William Purcell
- Western Wake Farmers Market’s Jennifer Gibbs
- Leaflight’s Robert Andrew Smith
- Columbus County Farmers Market: Irvin W. Brown, President of the Columbus County Farmers Market, (910) 840-6743
- NC State Farmers Market Director
- Department of Health and Human Services, Division of Social Services
- Maria Spaulding, NC DHHS
- Jeffrey Engel, NC State Health Director
- Jennifer MacDougall, BCBSNC Foundation
- Emily Jackson, Appalachian Sustainable Food Project
- Laurey Masterton, Laurey’s Catering. Spoke to 1:30 p.m. Friday afternoon. Will call back after clients leave
- Penny Gordon-Larsen, UNC. Left vm and emailed Friday
- Dr. Sarah Armstrong, Duke
- Dr. David Collier, ECU’s Brody School of Medicine
- Melody Barnes’s office, Let’s Move
- Rep. David Price
- Senator Kay Hagan
- Senator Richard Burr
- What farmers markets do accept EBT (SNAP) cards?
- When did Western Wake Farmers Market start accepting debit cards?
- What was the impetus? Why?
- Who started this program?
- What is the Western Wake Farmers Market debit / EBT program?
- How does it work?
- What is the benefit for farmers? Consumers? What do you hope will be the result of this program?
- Did you know about NC’s childhood obesity epidemic? How do you think your program impacts childhood obesity?
- Do you have a personal story or family member with a story who has been affected by childhood obesity? How has childhood obesity touched your life?
- Name spellings
- Farm names
- Multiple obesity and childhood obesity statistics
- Proper spelling of programs
- Task Force on Childhood Obesity final report to refer to legislative recommendations and reasoning for the recommendations
POSSIBLE ONLINE EXTRAS
I would like to go back and add to this story:
- Google map plotting where farmers markets and Farm to School programs exist in NC
- Interactive NC map showing the rates of childhood obesity for each county
- FAQs on the farmers markets’ EBT program and Farm to School. Specifically, explain step-by-step how the EBT program works including credit card or EBT exchange for wooden tokens, how vendors receive payment